ADD & ADHD is not new. Medical text in the early 1900’s described the children brought to a doctor’s office because they were unable to sit still. Today it has become an epidemic.
The diagnosis of ADD is based on the presence of 6 of the following symptoms for at least six months.
- Failing to give close attention to detail.
- Difficulty sustaining attention in task or play
- Often not listening when spoken to
- Often not following through on instructions and failure to finish a task
- Difficulty organizing tasks and activities
- Avoiding tasks that require sustained metal effort
- Often loosing things needed to complete tasks
- Easily distracted
- Forgetful in everyday activities
ADHD diagnosis is based on the presence of 6 of the following symptoms for at least six months.
- Fidgets with hands or feet, fidgets in seat
- Gets out of seat when expected to stay seated
- Runs and climbs inappropriately
- Difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities
- “On the go” constantly.
- Talks excessively
- Blurts out answers before question is completed
- Difficulty waiting turn
- Interrupts or intrudes on others.
About 5 million children from ages 3-17 years of age have a learning disability. 80% of these children will continue to have these issues in adolescents and 70% as adults.
Kristine Devillier, RND www.natureslinkwellness.com / Nature’s Link Wellness Center