Vegetarian Chili Recipe (Eat Clean Diet Cookbook)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 Large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Large carrot, grated
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 2 Tbsp. cumin seeds, toasted*
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
*To toast cumin seeds: place seeds in a skillet and warm over medium heat until you begin to smell spices. Shake the pan vigorously so the seeds do not stick and burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2 ½ c water or low sodium vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 2 tsp. crumbled dried oregano
- 2 tsp. crumbled dried basil
- 4 squares dark organic chocolate
- 28 oz. canned tomatoes
- 1 c. canned white kidney beans
- 1 c. canned red kidney beans
- 1 c canned Northern beans
- 1 c. canned black beans
- 1 c. canned or frozen corn kernels
* Rinse and Drain all canned/frozen ingredients
- In a Dutch oven, warm olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, pepper, grated carrot and sauté until onion becomes soft and translucent. Stir in chili powder, toasted cumin seeds, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add all remaining ingredients, stirring well. then let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
This recipe can be served alone, w/ salt free tortilla chips, or over brown rice or quinoa. Left overs go great in a wrap!
Makes 6 servings, Nutritional Value per serving: Calories: 329, Calories from Fat: 72, Protein: 15g, Dietary Fiber: 15g, Sugars: 9g, Fat: 8g
Kris’s note: Eliminate or add any bean, vegetable, or herb for your palate. Then Serve Happiness…