Nature’s Link Wellness Center offers herbal medicine in Breaux Bridge, Lafayette and the entire Acadiana area. Herbal medicine supports natural healing, disease prevention and both physical and mental well-being. Medicinal herbs are an important component of our services that promote natural healing and disease prevention.
All herbal remedies are administered by board certified naturopathic doctor and master herbalist Dr. Kristine Devillier, N.D. As an herbalist, she has the training and expertise to recommend medicinal herbs and botanical products to support your health needs.
After a consultation to discuss your health history, diet, lifestyle and goals, Dr. Devillier will develop personalized herbal remedies to assist you with health issues and improve your overall wellness. As a naturopath, she may also recommend nutritional, lifestyle and other alternative healing modalities.
What is Herbal Medicine?
Herbal medicine, botanical medicine and herbalism are all terms for the use of herbs, plants and plant extracts for treating and preventing illness and promoting health and well-being.
Herbal remedies have been used throughout the world for thousands of years and they’re still one of the most common forms of medicine in the world. In many cultures, the use of spices and herbs in foods is a common practice for natural healing and disease prevention.
Whole plants, including roots, stems, flowers and leaves are used to create herbal remedies that are ingested or applied to the skin. They can be in the form of tinctures, tonics, capsules, extracts, tablets, topical applications or teas.
What is an Herbalist?
An herbalist specializes in the therapeutic use of plants to help heal the body and improve health naturally. Herbalists, as with other natural health practitioners, treat the whole person, not a disease or condition. According to the American Herbalist Guild, they may practice either as ancillary health care consultants or primary health care providers.
Types of Herbalists
- Traditional or community herbalist
- Medical herbalist
- Clinical herbalist
- Folk herbalist
Herbal remedies may also be used in other modalities, including Traditional Chinese Medicine, Ayurveda, acupuncture and aromatherapy.
How Herbal Medicine Can Benefit Health & Well-Being
Botanical medicine encompasses a wide variety of safe, effective herbs that can be used to treat and prevent disease, relieve symptoms of common ailments and help the body to naturally cleanse and rebuild itself. Benefits of medicinal herbs:
- Support the immune system and promote overall health
- Boost the immune, cardiovascular, lymphatic and respiratory systems
- Support digestion and alleviate digestive issues
- Boost kidney, liver and urinary tract function
- Assist with stress management and emotional well-being
- Maintain oral, ear, eye, skin and nail health
- Assist with chronic health conditions like high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis, seizures, IBS, fibromyalgia and migraines
- Alleviate the side effects of radiation and chemotherapy while also increasing their effectiveness
- Address sleep issues such as insomnia
- Support for acute conditions such as ear infections, viral infections and even minor injuries
- Relieve symptoms of respiratory illnesses such as the cold, flu, asthma and allergies
- Help overcome addictions like alcohol or smoking
- Aid with skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis and eczema
- Assist with managing issues related to women’s health, such as PMS, PCOS, menopause and more
Herbal remedies should not be used without the guidance of a knowledgeable practitioner if you are pregnant or nursing, or for children. It’s important to let your herbalist know about any medications you’re taking and to let your physician know about the botanical products you use to limit unfavorable interactions between herbs and drugs.
Request a Consultation
Interested in learning more about how herbal medicine can improve your overall well-being?
Contact Nature’s Link Wellness Center today by calling 337-332-2705 or request an appointment online!