Parasites & Your Health
Parasites are organisms that live on or in a host and depend on that host for their survival–including people. The study of these organisms is known as parasitology.
Although a large portion of parasitic diseases affect people in less affluent countries, people in the US are not immune. In fact, poor health symptoms related to the presence of a parasite can be particularly dangerous in this country because the underlying cause often goes undiagnosed.
Parasitology has been used for centuries to understand and manage health concerns related to the presence of these organisms. The study dates all the way back to the Ancient Egyptians and Greeks and continues today at Nature’s Link Wellness in Breaux Bridge, LA.
An Introduction to Common Parasites
Some common parasites include:
- Protozoa: single-cell organisms ingested or transmitted by insect bites, e.g., malaria.
- Helminths: parasitic worms ingested from eating undercooked meat from an infected animal, e.g., tapeworms.
- Arthropods: insects and spiders that carry or cause disease, e.g., ticks and fleas.
- Fungi: spores and molds that can cause disease in humans in the form of yeasts, e.g., candidiasis
In humans, most parasites live in our digestive tract, living off the food we eat. When parasites start consuming too many of the nutrients you need to be healthy, a wide variety of symptoms can occur, including:
- Low energy
- Bowel irregularities
- Skin rashes
- Joint pains
- Eating without feeling full
Many parasites go undetected, even after a physician’s examination and testing. And pharmaceuticals aren’t always effective at ridding the body completely of these unwanted visitors. Therefore, it’s important to understand all your options for eliminating parasites as well preventing new infections.
Request a Consultation
Interested in knowing more about parasitology in Breaux Bridge, Lafayette, and the entire Acadiana area? Contact Nature’s Link Wellness Center today by calling 337-332-2705 or request an appointment below!