What is DopaBoost?
DopaBoost™ is designed to support the body’s natural production of dopamine, one of the body’s primary catecholamines. Dopamine is essential for the normal functioning of the central nervous system and is associated with attention, learning, movement, balance, and mood regulation.** The primary ingredient in DopaBoost™ is Mucuna pruriens, a botanical which naturally contains L-Dopa, the metabolic precursor to dopamine which can cross the blood-brain barrier. Additional ingredients include EGCg (epigallocatechin gallate), acetyl-L-tyrosine, quercetin and vitamin B6, all selected for their synergistic roles in the production and regulation of dopamine.**
The adrenal glands produce catecholamines (both hormones and neurotransmitters) in situations of stress such as psychological stress or low blood sugar levels. Dopamine is one of the primary catecholamines. It is essential for the normal functioning of the central nervous system and is associated with attention, learning, movement, balance, and mood regulation. More specifically, dopamine is a signaling substance in brain circuits that are crucial in creating positive mood states. Dopamine is involved in transmitting signals of reward and motivation and in helping muscles move smoothly. It is synthesized in the brain from the amino acid tyrosine, which is hydroxylated to L-DOPA (3,4 dihydroxy-L-phenylalanine), and is then decarboxylated to dopamine. L-DOPA, dopamine’s immediate precursor, crosses the blood brain barrier while dopamine does not. Regulating dopamine is vital to our physical and mental health.
Benefits of DopaBoost
DopaBoost™ was designed to increase the body’s natural production of dopamine. This may be necessary in the clinical support of degenerative neurological disorders related to dopamine activity. These disorders include Parkinson’s disease and dopa-responsive dystonia (DRD), a neurological disorder that usually begins in childhood and whose symptoms are often characterized by problems with movement and a progressive difficulty in walking.
Parkinson’s disease affects more than one million Americans each year, a figure expected to rise due to aging populations. The main characteristic feature of Parkinson’s disease is the progressive destruction of dopamine-producing cells in the substantia nigra region of the brain stem (where dopamine is made). The loss of dopamine production affects the balance between dopamine and acetylcholine in the brain, which then causes messages to the muscles to become faulty. Parkinson’s disease symptoms develop once 70% of the dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra have been destroyed. This leads to the muscle rigidity and tremors associated with this disease. Neurodegeneration in Parkinson’s disease appears to be multifactorial, where a complex set of reactions lead to the destruction of neurons.
Neural Support + Neuroprotection
- Macuna pruriens is a botanical which naturally contains L-DOPA, the metabolic precursor to dopamine. The Macuna material in DopaBoost™ is standardized to contain an extremely potent 60% L-DOPA.
- N-acetyl-L-tyrosine is the acetylated derivative of l-tyrosine (the amino acid from which dopamine is synthesized). Acetylation helps to increase the stability and solubility of tyrosine, making it more efficient and bioavailable, and therefore, the superior choice for raising the body’s levels of tyrosine. Pyridoxal-5-phosphate (P5P), which is vitamin B6 in its metabolically active form, is needed for the decarboxylation of L-DOPA to dopamine, as it is a coenzyme for dopa decarboxylase.
- EGCg (epigallocatechin-3-gallate), the main antioxidant and iron chelator polyphenol in green tea, works in multiple ways to enhance the efficacy of DopaBoost™. EGCg has a positive effect on the electrical activity of dopaminergic neurons (in the substantia nigra). It increases the neuronal activity via inhibition of calcium-dependent potassium currents. Increasing neuronal activity increases the release of dopamine. Research on animal parkinsonism suggests that EGCg restores neuronal loss.
Oxidative stress from iron ions
- Excess iron ions in the brain play a role in the development of neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and Huntington’s diseases, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). Iron in an unstable form increases reactive oxygen species (ROS) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). This triggers a cascade of events leading to apoptotic cell death in neurodegenerative disorders. Research shows that EGCg, along with the plant flavonoid quercetin, neutralizes radical scavengers and prevents their known neurotoxic effects (ROS scavengers). EGCg elevates the activity of two major oxygen-radical metabolizing enzymes, superoxide dismutase and catalase. Quercetin is also a strong protector of nerve cells against free radical damage. In addition, EGCg and quercetin chelate unbound iron (Fe+) and copper ions (Cu+) out of the body.
COMT inhibition by green tea and quercetin
- Research demonstrates that EGCg and quercetin act as catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors. The COMT enzyme breaks down dopamine by converting it into methyldopa, which does not allow it to convert into dopamine. Therefore, since EGCg and quercetin are COMT inhibitors, they help L-DOPA stay in the system longer for a sustained release of dopamine in the brain. EGCg and quercetin both work synergistically with Macuna pruriens (which provides L-DOPA).
** These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
THIS INFORMATION IS PROVIDED FOR THE USE OF PHYSICIANS AND OTHER LICENSED HEALTH CARE PRACTITIONERS ONLY. THIS INFORMATION IS INTENDED FOR PHYSICIANS AND OTHER LICENSED HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS TO USE AS A BASIS FOR DETERMINING WHETHER OR NOT TO RECOMMEND THESE PRODUCTS TO THEIR PATIENTS. THIS MEDICAL AND SCIENTIFIC INFORMATION IS NOT FOR USE BY CONSUMERS. THE DIETARY SUPPLEMENT PRODUCTS OFFERED BY DESIGNS FOR HEALTH ARE NOT INTENDED FOR USE BY CONSUMERS AS A MEANS TO CURE, TREAT, PREVENT, DIAGNOSE, OR MITIGATE ANY DISEASE OR OTHER MEDICAL CONDITION.
There are no reviews yet.