This eggplant casserole recipe is an excellent lite summer time dish.
½ cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes (about 1 lb.)
Salt, black and red pepper
3 Tbsp. Butter or Earth Balance
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup tomatoes
3 cups cooked rice or quinoa
1 cup grated cheese
3 to 4 Tbsp. bread crumbs Italian style (To make your own, ingredients listed below)
- Preheat oven at 350°.
- Sauté bell pepper, onions, celery and eggplant in butter or earth balance.
- Add garlic, seasonings, and tomatoes.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in rice or quinoa, cheese, and bread crumbs.
- Pour into a buttered 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serves 8.
Breadcrumbs: 2 slices of Sprouted Grain bread, 1 teaspoon flax seed or meal, 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese, ½ teaspoon oregano, grind in your bullet blender.