Subtly Sweet Granola
Looking for that touch of sweetness to add to your dairy-free yogurt, mix into your baked goods, or have as a midday snack? This Subtly Sweet Granola is about to be your new go-to! It’s packed with oats, whole grains, nuts, and seeds to optimize your fiber intake, and has tons of vitamin B6 sources to really maximize the nutrient density of your meal or snack. Your tastebuds will indulge in the decadence and earthiness of this treat, and you’ll have your newest guilt-free obsession! Prep, bake with care, and enjoy!
- 8 c rolled oats
- 1 c rye flakes (you can substitute 1 box of Kashi 7-grain flakes and only use 4 cups oats)
- 1 c whole almonds (remember to soak to get enzyme inhibitors off! about 2 days with rinsing)
- 1 c cashews, coarsely chopped (soak to get enzyme inhibitors off – not as long as almonds, about 4 hours- be careful about mold, soak in refrigerator if too hot)
- ½ c sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ¾ c honey
- ¾ c b-grade maple syrup (I used cane syrup)
- ½ c vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
*You can add 2 cups of Hawaiian trail mix (from Fresh Market) for the dried fruit, but really, you can add whatever you like.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the oats, flakes, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc.
- In a small saucepan, mix the honey, syrup, oil, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Stir over low heat until this is well blended and very hot (bring it to a slight boil); then pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix until everything is blended and moistened.
- Spread a 1/2-inch-thick layer of the wet granola on two 12 x 16-inch baking sheets.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until golden brown. BE SURE TO STIR/TURN EVERY 5 TO 10 MINUTES OR IT WILL BURN. (I put mine in a dehydrator, but it was still kind of moist after all day.)
- Remove baking sheets from the oven and allow granola to cool.
- Break apart and store in airtight containers after completely cool.