Sloppy Lentil Joes
Sloppy Joes With Lentils: Not the way your Momma made them.
3 1/3 cups water or low-sodium vegetable stock
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1½ cups dried brown lentils
1 15-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon * vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
Salt to taste
- Place 1/3 cup of the water or stock in a large pot.
- Add the onions and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until onions soften slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and mix in well.
- Add the remaining liquid, lentils, tomatoes, and the rest of the seasonings.
- Mix well, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over low heat for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on whole-wheat buns, or fresh baked bread, with the trimmings of your choice.
*Serves 4 – 6 people.
* Vegan/vegetarian Worcestershire sauce can be found at Drug Emporium or Sandra’s Café & Health Food, Annie’s.